Thursday, January 3, 2019

The Curmudgeon Returns T13

1.  Not everyone likes Starbucks. Really.

2.  Not everyone LOVES almond flavoring (or anything else) in their coffee

3.  Don't tell someone "What you really need is..." and then walk off in disgust when they don't oblige your ego.

4.  I'm not offended by someone holding a door for me, but not when Im forced into a vicious trot to reach the door in time...

5.  Parents who think it's adorable to let their precocious 6 year old read the menu and order from it. While the waitress waits and waits and waits...

6.  Food companies who play games with the pricing. (coffee in three different amounts, same size can, same price)  Playing price games with sizes.  Used to be, Bigger was Cheaper.  Giant sized Peanut Butter, king sized cereal boxes,  extra large detergent packages.  Now the mid range is cheaper, lol.

7. People who sit behind you at a  long red light  and honk.   Honk.   Honk.

8. Food police. My food, my choice. And if you take one more of my shrimp I will stab you with my shrimp fork.

9. Folks who hose down their grocery carts with those sanitizing wipes and then travel around the store, steering by their elbows.  Has it never occurred to them that every single can and vegetable in that store has been handled at least five billion times?

10. Parents who leave their kids unattended/unsupervised  in the toy aisle in the store.  Close to the jigsaw puzzles and train sets...

11. "New and improved".  Not  necessarily.  Usually that means we ran out of the stuff we used to use, and had to switch, so we're  pretending this is better.

12. That nice lady in the back row at the movies, who takes the time to explain her recipe for chocolate cake, and then wants to discuss her daughter's new boyfriend, and then retires in a sulk
(known as the "well, really" sulk) when someone asks her to shut up...

13.  One arm rest. Two people.

http://newthursday13.blogspot.com/

19 comments:

1. And it's especially annoying when the "youngster" holding the door for you is no youngster him/herself, but is clearly somebody's grandparent, and it's apparent from the way they look at you that they're not doing it simply out of respect for the (more) elderly but because their 3-second observation tells them (INcorrectly!) that you're unlikely to manage the task for yourself.

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind the door behind held open, but some people seem unable to gauge how long it will take you to get to their generous gesture. One poor (older) man looked at me for a moment and then held the door for me. He said, "sometimes I get yelled at for doing that" and winked. I thanked him and said, 'manners is manners..."

My favorite door holding story: I was browsing the outside book display of a local bookstore, and this man vaulted up the steps and held the door for me.
      It seemed rude to turn him down, he looked so pleased, so I went in, said thank you, and when he had disappeared I went back out to continue browsing.

Timing, as they say, is everything.

Delete
    2. As I get older it seems to happen more that women hold the door for me and I say "that's how I know I'm an old man, because I used to hold the door for the young pretty ladies, now they hold it for me." My wife says I'm a shameless flirt.

Delete
    3. Women's Lib hath its charms. Your wife could be right. I say, enjoy the role, you earned it. =)

Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Lol. Mine too. I've been on the receiving end of a LOT of these...

Delete
  3. Almond flavoring is at least better than pumpkin! Give me tea, not new or improved!

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No pumpkin, no strawberry, apple, (green or otherwise),or almond. I like my coffee black and coffee flavored.
      I like tea, too, but it always seems to be a social drink, with a friend, not something you travel from room to room with.

Delete
  4. I can think of no good reason to hold back on shrimp. The food police are corrupt and using excuses to get at your shrimp. Stab away.

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree completely. You want shrimp, mister, order your own.

I read once that only people who eat shrimp actually count how many are on the plate, or how many came in the frozen container from the store. If the box says 32 and I get 33 or 34 I feel as if I've scored...

Delete
  5. Misplaced helpfulness file: last week decided birdfeeder out front was not interesting to birds, decided to move it out back with the other.

Struggle with overhead s hooks, porch roof, unhooking feeder, catching as it fell on me, finally succeed in getting it down. Young neighbor sprints out of house, takes it from me, says, here, I'll hang that up there for you...

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are the people who should be thrown from ladders but rarely are.

Or the helpful man at the gas station who watches you wrestle with the gas cap which your husband had put on crookedly, with the threads messed up. Just as you're about to get it loose he comes up and says, here, hon, let me help you...and screws it down niiiice and snug. Crossed threads and all.

I trust you got it moved (eventually)

Delete
  6. I have never been in a Starbucks. Really. Nor do I have a desire to go into one. I use the wipes on my cart - but I also wear latex-free gloves (like the surgeons use) when it's cold/flu season in the stores. And then I use one of those cleaning wipe things when I'm in the car, or hand sanitizer.

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been in Starbucks either, but someone sent me a pound of it as a 'treat'. And a coffee grinder. Apparently coffee grinders are part of the kitchen decor in California, I had to actually ask her how it worked.

Amazing how quickly you can clear a room of cats with one of those.

And after all of that I brewed my first cup of Starbucks and threw the rest of the bag in the stove. "Oh," I told her, "the coffee was WONDERFUL..." and my nose grew a tad longer...

Delete
  7. I had no idea how regional almond flavoring is, until moving out here to Oregon. I can't find a coffee shop that offers it. When I get coffee out, it's usually a plain latte, but sometimes almond would be nice. Or maybe it's just because I can't have it that I want it, now.

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could always bring your own little bottle of almond flavoring...

I don't do coffee shops, most times my coffee is here at home, since I get to make it myyyy wayyyy...

I wonder if Dunkin Donuts might not have almond...they do a lot with pumpkin (trying not to make faces), they may be just chain enough to override the no-almond thing. And DD does have good coffee. Their food (except for the doughnuts) is pretty boring, but the coffee is excellent.

Delete
  8. One arm rest, two people. It is about getting there first.

ReplyDelete
  9. Love, love, love. Especially the armrest. Oh all the rest too except the little old lady in the movie theater, nevee encountered that.

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A friend and I sat through what must have been the worst movie of all time, Sally Field in "SoapDish", and in the back of the relatively small theater a woman was entertaining everyone with endless comments, recipes, complaints.
      Finally a man, who had had entirely too much of the movie AND the lady said, "If you want to discuss your daughter and your cooking, please, do it elsewhere. We really really don't care."

It was wonderful. It was the high point of the movie.

Delete