Monday, May 2, 2022

sometimes all it takes is a definite push

 We have had Toby 11 years,  Charlie about ten, give or take.  For most of those 11 years Toby has been the equivalent of a  RoadRunner cartoon, leaving a wake of fear behind him as he vaults out of any room you enter.  This past winter I realized he was not doing well,  and down to a skeleton with fur.  

I wanted to get him to the vet, but he wasn't having any of THAT nonsense, nossir.  So I did the next best thing;  if I couldn't get him to the vet, I could at least make him comfortable.  Big carton with fluffy pillow, right up by the woodstove.  He liked that.  litter box in the corner of the same room.  he approved.  A new kind of food, one of those two flavor crunch and chew things.  He liked that, too.  Over the winter he  progressed from terror to startled exits when I approached the stove.  Then he just Watched Me carefully as I levered wood into it.  Heat=Human with Wood.  Must rethink.   Then he started napping through the entire process, and now and then I could reach down and scratch his ears.   muffled purring.  

Aha, I thought.  

His only reaction now is still toward the sound of the poker.  He leaves.  I  understand now just why he was the way he was.  If I could find the person who hit that cat for any reason...  

And the past few weeks, when I come down in the morning, he actually trots into the kitchen, tail high,  purring.  He spent most of yesterday on the dining room table, on a chair cushion,  not a foot from where I was working.   I don't know how long he has left,  but he's eating, he seems comfortable, and he's getting the attention he never knew he needed.  

I guess that's all anyone can hope for.

5 comments:

  1. No knowing his previous history. But he's finally coming around, good. You're going to have an afflectionate pet there, if you're not careful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All they'd ever tell me at the shelter was, "he was brought back". That means he was dumped twice, first as a kitten and then as an adult. My guess is, he was acquired for the baby to play with, like a wind up toy, and when the kid grabbed his tail or an ear, and he responded, he was either 'disciplined' or returned. Or both. His buddy disappeared the first winter, either trying to get 'home' or something got him. One reason the cats no longer go out after sunset.
    When he first came here (with his bonded buddy) he was so terrified of humans he would leave the room if you so much as raised a hand or tried to throw a toy for him to chase. He never did learn to play....
    he's a sweet cat, but you have to meet him on his terms, and at least he has Charlie, who grooms him regularly, even washes his ears and face, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is so heartbreaking to think of the things other people do to animals to make them lose trust to the point that it takes years for them to be (relatively) at ease around someone who is showing them nothing but care and love.

    living in the city (even in a quiet residential area), i don't allow my cats outdoors, but lots of folks around here do. when you walk around the neighborhood, it it not uncommon to have cats that are total strangers walk up and rub against your leg, waiting for you to bend down and pet them. the folks across the street had a cat that hung out on the sidewalk, waiting for folks to go by so he'd get petted. if only every single kitty out there could know the joy that comes with that level of trust.

    ReplyDelete
  4. exactly. I used to leave the cat flap open, and the cats could go and come as they chose, into the shed and then out through a tunnel to the outdoors. Once I realized how many things out there eat cats, the door became daylight-only accessible.

    The number of strays in the neighborhood has diminished considerably here, not sure why, but be sure even at this age if one showed up he'd have a name and an imaginary bow by sunset.

    and yeah, it's a good feeling to see this guy open up a bit to affection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe you’re wrong. Why?
    thtz NOT all we hope for, lil1:
    our existence is so passing-
    away and then if you believe,
    you’ll have fun in 007thHeaven
    for not a 10,000 ...but FOREVER:
    Miss Adorable Wildflower!

    How wouldya also like to write a
    few millitrillion X googolquinplx
    @my Big Ol Majestic Mansions
    Upstairs? nevr-endn-amenities?
    ‘outta-dis-world’ chocolate for
    eternity and gobbsa playtime??

    Love’s extremely crucial to me;
    love is crucial to 007th Heaven:
    ✖️psychopathicmath.blogspot.com✖️
    Cya soon, ya gorgeous girly girl...

    ReplyDelete