Saturday, March 26, 2022

"We circle in the night and are consumed by fire".

 

we circle in the night around the fire

are consumed by it

even as we take it in, worship it,

admit our need for warmth

for heat, for nourishment

as the fire feeds us

taking and giving in balance

until we come too close

and that which sustained

reaches out

caresses our hair and our skin

like any lover, pulls us in

and we fall, weeping, into the thing we love

becoming the thing we love

at last

2 comments:

  1. Oh, this HOT, Judy. I've been mesmerized by campfires, lust, and burning buildings my whole life (such as it is) and now, almost completely ash myself, all I get to do is to sit around reading outstanding poems like this one. Thanks. More, please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well my goodness, thank you.
    Im a bit of a firebug myself, come to think of it. Well, you've seen the brush piles. I get to burn those. And the wood stoves. I told my husband once, if we didn't have wood stove fires for me to play with I'd probably opt for a life of arson, just to see the pretty flames...

    ReplyDelete