Tuesday, November 12, 2019
Thoughts on weaving looms and oil burners
For the first time in 43 years, tonight we let the woodstoves go out and turned on our new oil burner. It seems to be working.
My husband, the mechanical engineer, is down there right now with little digital thermometers, assessing and testing and generally having entirely too much fun. When it first went on, it really sounded as if the spaceship engines had been lit and we would be whisked off into outer space.
It may happen yet.
After this 24 hour test I hope it doesn't come on again until much colder weather, my fingers are itching to start up the stoves RIGHT NOW. Habits die hard. Also brought the weaving loom down from the front room, now that we will have a place to keep it. It belonged to a weaver friend of mine, and when she broke up housekeeping she sold it to me. It's a reasonably small collapsible one, 36", and I'm waiting for some long winter days to get it moving. It's been years since I've used a loom, it'll be like starting from scratch again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

The furnace in our first house, probably the original 1930s one, used to give a terrific vaVOOMM when it first came on I'm the fall. After the first shock, it was quite reassuring to hear it.
ReplyDeleteAbout weaving, how will you organize weaving in a catted household? And what will you make?
It is kind of a comfort to know it's down there, beavering away to keep us warm, but my instincts are still to hover over the kitchen stove, "levitating" the silly thing. It's a lovely hot place, unlike those artfully placed radiators.
ReplyDeleteOriginally I had a barn loom up in the front bedroom, but it's too cold to work up there in the winter, and the loom is taking up space now, that I could use for other things.
I never had a problem with the cats, they pretty much ignore this stuff, I found. Once in a while I'd find one nestled down in the middle of a project, oh look at the nice hammock mummy made for me...
But this one is collapsible so I can fold it up at the end of a session. Which is nice on a lot of counts. As it's a 36" loom, and I don't have the skills to weave double (at least not yet) I'm thinking of maybe a nice blanketty thing, a lot depends on what I have for yarn.
Blogger is giving me fits, so I have no idea what will happen to this, lol
(naturally) i am intrigued at the mention of a loom. i had a small tabletop model at some point, but it did not have quite the impact i had hoped for, so it did not last very long in my possession.
ReplyDeletei have considered getting another one, as all the weavers out there seem to claim that it is an excellent way of using up the too-much yarn that has a habit of showing up in people's homes. for now i will just stick to wading through my too-much, but maybe... just maybe... your future weaving escapades might spark that interest again.
testing
Deletestill working on bedroom curtains, so it will be some few weeks before I can straighten out the parlor and open out the loom. Oh, what fun.
Delete