Monday, September 2, 2019

lesson learned


some time ago it was suggested that I might like to try an "extra layer"  kind of anti virus program:  I had always liked SpyBot, and decided to give it another try. 

They've updated.  They used to be a low-key user friendly site, you could configure it to suit yourself, and they did a good job of keeping the baddies out of the conputer.  However.

This latest version has teeth in it, and AK47s at every window.  I found out the hard way that when they clean up after you, they not only take out the spyware, they wax the floor,  vacuum the dog, and hide your passwords in a secret location, where even you can't find them.

Every single program had my passwords stripped out, and a few were on the danger list.  I couldn't even get close enough to them to restore the passwords. 

After two days of this I decided the only thing to do would be to do what is called a 'system restore' and then shoot SpyBot.  That's when I found out how much stuff they had put walls around.  Removing Spybot itself was scary, the guest that will not be removed. 

As God is my witness, I'll never use SpyBot again.


2 comments:

  1. Wouldn’t it be nice if everything worked the way you thought it would and you didn’t get angina from updating it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used the 'old' Spybot for years. It was configurable, careful, and precise.

      This new one was like adopting an adorable puppy from the pound, and watching it grow into Cerberus.

      I'm still trying to find where some of my programs have gotten to...

      Delete