Wednesday, March 14, 2018

And so it snows, tiddly pom, and so it blows, tiddly pom...


a measured 18" of snow, my husband's beloved Bobcat won't start, he can't get his Big Truck with plow to start, and he has just mushed out of here with his regular truck, making an awesome set of  1/2 mile long snow tracks all the way down.

he's a funny guy.  weather doesn't bother him, as long as he knows he can get out.  He was very close to panic this morning (I found out when I picked up the wrong shovel and we Had Words about it), because he gets a kind of wide ranging claustrophobia about this.  Some people cannot ride in elevators without tranquilizers, I seriously dislike guided  tours under boulders called "Fat Lady's Lament" and the lemon squeezer (hahahaha),  because the idea of being under one of those when the long awaited earthquake hits...

and he gets edgy if he thinks he can't get out of the driveway.  To be fair, if we can't get out, helpers can't get in, and the broken leg would just have to heal itself. I can understand his feeling.

So now at least he can get out. Probably. It's been a half hour, and I've not seen him walking back, so at least Down is an option.  In and UP may not be. Damn I love living here.

Im also putting off the idea of raking off the roof. I keep telling myself, hey, it's warmed up, maybe some of it will melt off and we can see out the upstairs windows again...then I think, hey, it's warmed up, I hope it doesnt drip  into the house....

Still snowing, by the way.

I see Steven Hawkings died today. How sad. He died, most appropriately, on Pi Day, which is also the anniversary of Einstein's birth, and was born in 1942 on the 300th anniversary of Gallileo's death

I suppose by now we could all, with a bit of digging,  find that everyone of us was born or will die on the anniversary of a major birth, death, or cataclysm, but it is an interesting bit to know.

5 comments:

  1. I'm also unhappy when I can't get out because of snow. By the way, did he ever make it back the house?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't care, if getting out of the house involves a shovel, boots, hat, scarf, and coat, and letting the car warm up for ten minutes...

      He got back, and called BobCat and they knew just what the problem was with the machine. So the road is now plowed, banks pushed back, and now we wait for the next one.

      The last time we had this much snow in March, you may remember, I sent you a photo of my kitchen windows, piled fifteen feet high with snow...

      March is one of those swing months where you really can't make plans for anything except naps and keeping the fires going.

      Delete
  2. Yes the deepest snow we ever had here was in March.

    ReplyDelete
  3. not gonna lie... one of the upsides of urban apartment dwelling is that you get to sip tea while looking out the windows at the city employees plowing the street and sidewalk below. i heard whispers of another nor'easter i the near future. they don't usually reach us, being so far inland. but, this is still Canada, and it snows most days just because it can. serves me right for falling for a guy from the wrong side of the border.

    i had to wipe away a few tears when i saw the news of Stephen Hawking's passing, but the timing was so very appropriate. there really does seem to be something magical about that day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do have a point, lady; someone else gets to shovel and plow and scrape the front doorsteps...

      I hear that, and both of us here grew up in this area, so it was no surprise, all that snow and sub zero weather, and we STILL moved in. My mother never quite understood why I wouldn't want to live 'in a nice little house downtown". shudder.

      I wept a bit too, about Stephen Hawking, remoarkable man, and he did all that with grace, and stubbornness and humor.

      I'm a great believer in serendipity, and sometimes it feels as if the universe is coming together in one place, for just a second or two. Not mystical, just there.

      Delete