Sunday, September 3, 2017

ve haf been assimlated


Was a time when you could order a book, or a tool, or a dress, from a catalog; send in the check, and a few weeks later there it would be, in your mailbox.

Or you could go to a store and shop.  Money changed hands, or checks. Or credit cards.

You were a deeply involved part of the process, from start to finish. If you did the hands-on thing, you got to touch the fabric, the box, the item.  Kick the tires, as it were.  I still have trouble with the idea of buying clothes online,  or fabric. Gotta touch it, smell it, see how it drapes.    You talked to a sales person, traded information, sometimes got to the first name stage and you became friends.

Then someone invented computers.


What concerns me, is how easy it was, and how quietly it actually happened.   And I do wonder, if the power goes down on that great national grid, what happens to those of us who are virtually locked into it, with automated house functions, cell phones,  cars that now have computer components even in the wheels, lighting systems that do the auto dim or bright as is needed...

Does anyone else get a little apprehensive about all this?

6 comments:

  1. I'm with you, JT. Not to mention that, thanks to Amazon, etc., independent bookstores are virtually non-existent these days, including the little coffee shops so many of them used to have, where old guys like me would do some of their best journal work. Bummer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And even the chain bookstores are dwindling, too. Barnes and Noble is the only bookstore for fifty miles, and their poetry section, which once spanned an entire wall, is now two wooden bookcases pushed together.

      do not get me started on Amazon. And thanks to Kindle, who needs paper books?

      Delete
  2. Not too much, since I drive a very low tech 1999 car, use a low level cell phone that does not go down when the bigs do. There are other possible probs, yes. I can't help thinking that folks who don't build in a plan B need to think again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, your car is a year older than mine. I don't even HAVE a cellphone, and when I have to use my husband's he has to show me how--all over again--every time. I rather like it that way.
      Lol, I can barely handle our fancy real phone, it's got buttons and no instruction booklet...

      I think plan B only works if you use it regularly, like a fire drill once a month. Otherwise you're out of luck when the real crunch comes.
      We get to practice plan B everytime the power goes out; they installed fiber optic stuff up here last year, and THEN informed us that when we lost the power, we'd lose the phone too.
      I don't worry about folks like Ron and you or me, it's people who grew up with a phone surgically attached to the left ear, and take their laptop along so they won't get bored in the National Parks...

      Delete
  3. You just reminded me that even the development I live in is low tech. Verizon could not install FIOS because we didn't have the infrastructure, and they'd stopped doing retrofitting. So we have a lot of aggrieved owners who only have the old fashioned two hundred channel cable. Phones not running off them. None of the disadvantages of fiber optics and they're quite mad at it.

    Since I don't have tv service at all, use the set to watch DVDs, it's all a bit theoretical to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear that, loudly. I get my news from the computer, and the TV sits in the parlor, unloved and ignored, like a large relative no one knows what to do with.

      Poor neighbors, who can only watch 200 home shopping channels. Whatever do they do with the rest of their time...

      Delete