Monday, November 8, 2021

Bobcat--0, Turkeys--2

 Looked out the window just before sunset and saw a bobcat in the field stalking two very large turkeys.  This must have been a young one,  since no grown bobcat in his right mind would try to attack turkeys  like that.  Either one of those birds would have winged him to death,  but he was determined, and when he lunged they both took off with a great rush of wings and feathers...

And me without the camera. Sigh.

I looked again, and here comes a very large, very annoyed-looking doe, stamping her hooves and snorting at him.  This time he realized, I suspect, that he was indeed outnumbered, and when she went after him,  barking and huffing, he took off into the woods.  I could hear the doe barking all the way, and it sounded like she chased him all the way to the road.

Five minutes later she was in the field again,  and this time with a much younger deer, obviously her mostly grown fawn. 

I suspect the bobcat is somewhere denned up,  trying to figure out what went wrong.  Next time, for sure. 


From time to time I begin to really believe that we are losing to the wildlife.  Works for me  =)

2 comments:

  1. The wildlife have a much more orderly way of dealing with situations. And of learning from experience. Humans not so good at that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With animals like this, they rarely get a second chance and a mistake sometimes turns the hunter into sushi.

      Delete