Wednesday, May 12, 2021

welcome to May

somehow, in spite of all the cold, all the rain, all the weather around it, every year a small group of Trillium with the delighful name "stinking robert" appears, in what was once a field behind the house that got turned into a mowed bit of lawn and then a temporary woodyard.  And by then the ash trees took over, crowding out a lovely bartlett pear and an apple tree who had been minding their own business.  And one day the Mr. came in and said, come see what's out there under the ash trees. 

Bang slap up against the old apple tree was this guy.  There are now at least a half dozen or more blooming, and smaller ones on the way.    

Every year we make  a pilgrimage out there, as a kind of encouragement to it.  

And yes, it was 36 deg. this morning when I let the cats out.   At the moment a tufted titmouse is trying to outshout a robin, and it appears he may win.  

2 comments:

  1. How lovely. I don't think I've ever seen trilliums.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the only kind I've ever seen, and only in this space. I think most trilliums are picky about their soil, light, and companion plants. Much like ladyslippers, who require just the right light and temperature and trees and probably two violins in the background before they'll perform.
    I want to put up a small fence-with-sign for this, to keep the next hamhanded owner from whacking down the trees and stepping all over the site.
    This whole place was once deeply forested, and then totally clear cut, as was most of the land around here, and it took a lot of the wildflowers with it. That, and the early sheep and hungry goats took care of the rest.

    And they really do smell awful. Probably a survival trick.

    ReplyDelete