Because he spent more time with the cats
than he did with me
Because the house he grew up in
Because the house he grew up in
was the one I wanted to live in forever
Because he was kind, and careful
Because he had no idea how to flirt
Because the house had front and back staircases
Because he was kind, and careful
Because he had no idea how to flirt
Because the house had front and back staircases
and a piano
Because we both had a lot to learn from each other
Because he never says,
Because we both had a lot to learn from each other
Because he never says,
"that's men's work" or "that's women's work"
If it was a foot race, sometimes he'd lead and sometimes I would
and both of us would win, no matter who got there first
And the only regret is that we won't live forever
And the only regret is that we won't live forever

That's a beautiful tribute to a marriage.
ReplyDeletewell, thank you. It's worked out well, so far, politics notwithstanding...=)
DeleteI have never read a lovelier story about a marriage. What you said in so few words said so much.
ReplyDeleteI think it helps that we are both only children, and understand the necessity of personal space.
DeleteIve never been a 'backpocket" sort, nor has he.
He has no crushing Male Ego, which says women's work and men's work. He makes sure my axe heads are snug and the edge is sharp, the clippers are well-oiled, and the chopping block is the right height.
He taught me how to use his BobCat for splitting wood, I taught him how to build and burn a brushpile.
I really think it was the cats that sealed it, though. wink
Bonded. Like My Beloved Sandra and I, despite many areas where we're miles apart...
ReplyDeleteYou're a lucky girl, JT
I am, and know it. Not everyone gets the mate they deserve, or earned, not everyone gets to live where they want, they way they want.
DeleteAnd as you say, there's that bonded thing, and it's the differences that make it interesting, as much as the samenesses. (That's a word now)