It's one of those things that makes no sense. I LOVE getting phone calls, but I hate making them. Especially the ones that need to be exact, as in, "press 1 for business, 2 for accounting, 3 for armed guards..." well, you get the picture.
Our bank cards came due this month, and we had to renew them. Easy, right? It has taken me three weeks to gather the cards, the info, and my courage, just to sit down and use a phone. I'm always afraid at some point the Nice-Lady Recording at the other end will say, "we're sorry, we have no record concerning the card number you gave us. Please hang up and try again." click.
later. much later.
yay. I got it right. It's ridiculous to be that edgy, but when it comes to phones and debit cards and press this for that and it's all a recording, well, just shoot me now. I told my husband when he got home, and he said he had the same concerns when he did his. We gettin' old. All this newfangled computer stuff, it ain't natural.
How is everyone holding up with the Covid thing? I've been home for three months, Im just afraid i'll have to learn how to drive all over again.

Driving is an issue. I got a new car right before shutdown. The 99 Civic had begun to leak dramatically. Already fearful of the virus, I hit her in, bought a car right off the lot, a Fit, and drove shakily home. I may have put as much as 50 miles on it in three months. Each time I get in I have to learn how to operate it. YouTube. Nerves just isn't in it. Like being a beginner again. New bells and whistles.
ReplyDeleteI've lost my groups, a couple sre online but it's stiff and awkward compared to seeing real people.
My son is loyally shopping each week for my groceries. I'm actually seeing him more often than usual, which is nice. But outside on the deck, distanced, and weather permitting.
I agree that high tech is high stress when you're already anxious.
for sure it is, Liz. I seem to be weathering this so far, fairly decently, but then Im a bit of a loner anyway.
ReplyDeleteBut I had just figured out the new car here, and was actually almost not quite comfortable with it (someday I will learn how to turn the lights on and off, I promise) but after three months of no driving, well...
I am sorry about your car. I know just what you were going through. Yours was a year older than mine, and you know damn well after a certain point it's gonna go. Apparently they come unglued all at once. Mine did.
I drove my husbands car for a few years, that was a Honda too, and then we realized a new car would do it. At our age it's probably the last car we'll need, so why not go for it.
My husband is doing our shopping, and while he's good at it, he tends to buy in bulk; not one or two of something, but six or seven. Im learning to give him upper limits, and "don't HUNT" meaning, if you can't find it on your first try, none of this store to store searching...
The governor here is being cautious, he said they will be opening things up by mid July.
The way the weather has been, I doubt if too many people will be willing even then to go body surfing at the beaches...it's not gotten above 60 but once, and the beaches up here are notorious for ankle ache and blue lips, even into July...
I have not driven since March 8th and I keep telling myself that tomorrow I will take a short drive around town. I have yet to do it because it is easier to to just drive around with Retired Man. I am letting my confidence in my ability to drive drift away. I can’t let that happen.
ReplyDeleteya know, you can go out, you can drive, you just can't get out and shop.
DeleteI think it's inanition that (excuse the pun) drives us to stay home. As you said, it's easier to let someone else do the hard work.
My concern is, this is a new car, it's wider and bulkier than the other one, and I had only begun to feel comfortable in it when the virus took us over.
It just doesn't FEEL like my car and I will have to get over that fairly quickly, since we are not in the market for another car, possibly forever.
::deep petulant sigh::
I hate making a phone call, when I do it is a very short call. When someone calls me I try to be courteous and talk for at least 30 seconds. Of course if you call I would talk for a log time since we have over twenty years to discuss.
ReplyDeleteTwenty years (oops OVER twenty years) is indeed a long time. And we do seem to keep up, anyway, phone or no phone.
Delete=)
Me been well this far. I go to the office only once in a while
ReplyDeleteI think this whole business is going to change a lot of habits for people, especially those who can use their home computers. That commute can be a killer. My husband had an hour's drive each way, every day, and that's the thing that really stressed him out.
DeleteLot of businesses and companies are going to find out they don't need all those workers in all those cubicles when they can to the same thing from home, for next to nothing.