Sunday, December 15, 2019

More curtain talk


Addendum: 
I was getting ready to sort all the fabric this house seems to have spawned,  and found two pair(s)? of curtains I made years ago and for some reason took down, never  put them back.  When the weather gets warmer (read: next spring) I need to go through all the bureaus and all the storage trunks and see just what it is I DO have. 

One thing with a large house, generous relatives (I don't want this fabric/yarn/thread, can  you use it) and a slowly changing  memory,  every drawer, every closet is an adventure and a surprise.  =)  I'm just thankful I never got the Yard Sale Bug.  My mother-in-law used to go with her sister every weekend, and she had a passion for lamps.  Not fancy, necessarily, just Lamps.  I now have about a dozen of those in the attic, waiting for Tables to Put Them On.  (those are up there too, btw)

I can remember when I made those curtains,  it was not long after we had moved in here, and my MIL had given me HER mother-in-law's Singer Sewing machine, that dates back to the 1887.  This house needed curtains, so I went out and bought almost an entire roll of unbleached muslin, then sat down and learned how to use the hemmer and the ruffler.  I must have made 80 yards or more of ruffles, and then attached them with the hemmer.  In looking at the 2 pair I have here from back then, I did a much better job than I can remember doing.

And I just noticed the time.  It's ten days to Christmas.  I've got to start paying better attention,  I'm afraid if I blink it will be June...


6 comments:

  1. Heroically refraining from curtain related jokes here..if I brandish this rod, it'll be curtains for you. Just an example of what I might say if I didn't refrain..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admire your restraint, Liz. Although I see you did let one hang out, a bit...it was very valance of you to not press the issue.

      Delete
  2. I have trunks I have not opened in years. I don’t want to deal with yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand that, big time. Everyone has things they'd just as soon not have to deal with, I'm the same way, with some things; but since I put the stuff in the trunks to BE opened someday, it's always a surprise and usually a pleasant one for me, to see what I had totally forgotten about.

      And considering that you dealt with it once, I can understand not wanting to run across it again.

      Delete
  3. Neighbors of mine left a dozen unopened boxes at the dumpster area with a note to please open and take anything! The boxes had moved twice with them, never been opened in ten years, they figured there was no need to hold onto them any longer. As they said, when they packed for the first move, they thought everything in there was vital. Then on literally never having even needed to look in them, they realized maybe not so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how could you resist. I'm a scavenger at heart, I'd have been poking around in those cartons with the greatest of joy...

      We have something like that around here, otherwise known as roadside pickup. Someone has a chair or a set of boots or an old appliance, and they don't want to throw it away, they put it beside the road and let someone take it home.
      We had a huge number of old roofing shingles that we needed to get rid of, but it would have cost a bundle at the dump. We put them out by the mailbox, in half an hour they were gone. =)

      Delete