Saturday, July 13, 2019

If you're having a slow day...


Hire me.  I may not make the day any faster,
but by criminy I can make it way more interesting
and get your heart thumping in a most terrifying way.

It will enable you (as it did me) to discover the innards
of your computer, your programs, and what that
strange inner distress is.

It's called "omg what did I just do" and I just did it.
The trick is not to TELL anyone who will sneer
at you and look at you as if you're one stupid
person. "why did you DO that?" they ask.
Don't tell them about it, not even after the fact,
in case it happens again.  The other reason to
not-tell them, or even ask for online help, is
that you cannot take a screen shot of what you
don't know you did, nor can you describe the
steps you took to get to where you are.

And after you have not-told them, you open every
damn window and program you can find,  open
Chrome if you have it, root around in FireFox,
and start looking under all the rugs, behind all
the slightly ajar doors and don't touch ANYTHING.
Yet.

Then you suddenly discover a quiet, overlooked
bit of stuff, you think, oh. That's it.  You can't make it
any worse, you reason, knowing that is almost a
given, but hey, nothing else has worked. So you
push the button, reboot, and viola, you're home.

I was so excited I went downstairs  and moved furniture. =)

4 comments:

  1. Nooooooooooooooooooooooo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yesssssss

    some people lift weights, some run 5 miles, I move couches and sideboards. Fear me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually move furniture as literal displacement activity in the middle of wildly frustrating electronic stuff. You can literally get your hands on furniture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you can, indeed. and you can control a couch, or a table, without having to read the damn manual.
      It is also a great energy sink, after spending the better part of a morning pushing buttons and feeling completely out of your element. By the time you've found the magic button, there's all that tension...and relief...

      Delete