Saturday, August 4, 2018

Bit by bit, we progress



The innards of newer woodstoves are almost as complicated as the innards of a car, these days:  ours also has firebrick, which over the past 8 years has begun to split and wobble. not good.   Getting it out is a lot like those dreadful puzzles we used to get for Christmas, with a 'key' that you had to find to take it apart. 

Took him all morning to find the right place to unbolt, and then we replace the firebrick and we're good to go for maybe another 8 years. By then, I truly won't care. Probably.

Two chimneys  to clean, and tomorrow the nice man comes to see about putting caps on the chimneys to keep the rain from getting in.  This week with all the incredible downpours, the dining room flue has run a steady stream.  Messssyyyy...



Still cleaning out books that I no longer want or will read again.  Along the way I've found several that I never got into, a good time to  try them on for size, I guess. 



And Toby, the determinedly touch-me-not cat, is now consenting to voluntary head pats, and careful shoulder blade scratches.  A little patience finally paid off. 

2 comments:

  1. We're still feeling our way around our semi-new digs. We've been here a year now but still haven't found who we'd like to tune-up the furnace & air conditioning. A whole new concept for us - having central air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you have to ask around and see what's available. I don't know what I'd do with all them there fancy things like furnaces and central air...=)

      It does take time to work into a new place, all the shelves are in the wrong place, the couch is either too big or too small, it even smells different.

      We've been here 46 years and every year I find a better place for this or that, or decide what's upstairs would serve us better downstairs (or even out the door and off to the Salvation Army)...

      Delete