He lives here, somewhere in the neighboring forest. This was about 30 feet away in the pear tree. That close, he looks a LOT bigger than he did...he's back to, looking over his shoulder but you can see the beak and the mottled wings. The bird guide says they will take housecats, which I doubted until I saw the size of him. Not that heavy, barely a pound of bird there, but not much would stand a chance with those talons and that beak.
Wednesday, January 31, 2018
Red Tailed Hawk
He lives here, somewhere in the neighboring forest. This was about 30 feet away in the pear tree. That close, he looks a LOT bigger than he did...he's back to, looking over his shoulder but you can see the beak and the mottled wings. The bird guide says they will take housecats, which I doubted until I saw the size of him. Not that heavy, barely a pound of bird there, but not much would stand a chance with those talons and that beak.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

cats are, after all, delicious...
ReplyDeleteI assume you speak as one who knows this first hand...?
DeleteWhat an awesome bird!
ReplyDeleteas hawks go, he's fairly small, (only 12 1/2 ounces) but apparently thinks bigger than he is, like a miniature schnauzer who barks at the big dogs.
DeleteWhat is truly awesome, that he doesn't know humans live here, and he is totally comfortable coming into the yard and sitting, looking for snacks. As long as my cats are not on the menu...
I love redtails. And if you've ever been buzzed by one at the bird feeder, you'll see they have a big wingspan. Yes, experience talking here. They sre unbothered by humans, development, traffic etc. Around here their formerly wild habitat is heavily developed, and they continue to beeed and hunt as usual.
ReplyDeleteIve seen them take wild mice, voles, small rabbits, but never pets. They hunt prey animals, and birds, not predators. Cats are predators and it would be amazing if a hawk threatened one.
Now and then when my front door is open and you can see through the house from the patio, one mistakes it for a flyway as if through trees, and crashes into the patio glass. Sounds as if an explosion happened. Redtail flies away unharmed though.
It's only the past year or so that this one has begun appearing regularly in the trees around the house. I am assuming it's settled in fairly permanently.
DeleteThey are impressive when they take off, for sure. Lot more wing than bird.
I think I know what's drawn him here: i've let the lawns and garden go to seed (one can only do so much, and sometimes you have to let some of it go for awhile) and that attracts the small birds and the vermin. It's like the serve-yourself-foodbars at the supermarket but for hawks, without the sneeze guard. =)