http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/video/marcel-the-shell-1
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/video/marcel-the-shell-2
Listen to them in order, and carefully. Sometimes that breathy little voice gets lost. The second one is more poignant than the first, and lingers, for some reason.
Sunday, December 4, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I know a person, who in fact befriended me via Freecycle, sweet little person, whose voice is EXACTLY like Marcel the shell. But not quite as poignant.
ReplyDeleteIt's charming, isnt it?
ReplyDeleteI do too. She's 90, and I hear her voice in this, too.
Define Poignant!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeletebittersweet, sad, look it up.
ReplyDeleteI did look it up, I found 4 different meanings, and bittersweet wasn't one of them.
ReplyDelete1.
a. Profoundly moving; touching: a poignant memory. See Synonyms at moving.
b. Physically painful: "Keen, poignant agonies seemed to shoot from his neck downward" (Ambrose Bierce).
c. Keenly distressing to the mind or feelings: poignant anxiety.
2. Piercing; incisive: poignant criticism.
3.
a. Neat, skillful, and to the point: poignant illustrations supplementing the text.
b. Astute and pertinent; relevant: poignant suggestions.
4. Agreeably intense or stimulating: poignant delight.
5. Archaic
a. Sharp or sour to the taste; piquant.
b. Sharp or pungent to the smell.
I am impressed. I'll go with 1a, moving, touching. And yet bittersweet can be considered a kind of poignant memory, too, if you consider "I had a sister. Her name was Marissa".
ReplyDeleteOr it could be used in a sentence.
ReplyDeleteI think my sister is poignant.. east coast dialect.. Just kidding