Monday, October 23, 2017

I miss TV


No, no. Not the pay as  you go stuff, with 200 channels to pick from, but the old fashioned box with maybe a remote and maybe not, where it actually had an on/off switch and a channel finder...it was free,  if you wanted a program you changed the channel without bothering with a menu or 200 choices.

It worked.

You had a TV Guide.

You had series, and reruns, old movies, Sesame Street,  the Muppet Show,  All in The Family,  Dr. Who,  Saturday Night Live.  You could watch Walter Cronkite, or Peter Jennings, and trusted them.  Jay Leno,  Johhny Carson. Awful quiz programs, local broadcasts.  Championship golf.  Bowling, for god's sake. It still feels weird to go to bed without a nightly dose of late news...

And as one friend said, "I can't watch TV unless I have something good to read!"  I can't knit unless the TV is on.  No, I can't knit in front of the computer, and I can't knit without something else to watch at the same time.

I miss it.

6 comments:

  1. There was more to watch when we had five channels. Now we have hundreds and there is so little I want to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it's empty calories, and the choices are now on the computer, some of them stunningly fascinating, not unlike reading the encyclopedia in a manic game of "follow the link"...but the tone was more personal, gentler, careful.

    We got our first TV in 1949 or 1950, a big old Dumont console (radio, phonograph, the whole business), and my dad was frankly terrified of it. He wouldnt let me near the dials (those were the days when you could adjust the brightness, focus, everything) until he discovered I was nearsighted enough to be able to adjust it from a foot away, and he could not.

    I used to get up early just to watch the test patterns, and the little movie of "our airforce" soaring across the screen, to the strains of the National Anthem...

    I really lost interest in it when we got the computer and there was an Online to come onto.
    But I do miss it. Awful as much of it was, there were pockets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the uk at that time, we got a tv in the late 50s, black and white of course. It was a Peto Scott, a huge piece of furniture with doors you swung open!

    Took almost five minutes to warm up enough to work. Tv only on a few hours a day. Snooty BBC newsreaders in black tie!! Big Ben for the nine o'clock news.

    Never watched much, but they had lovely interludes for long gaps between scheduled programs. A potter at the wheel, kittens playing in a basket, a ploughman working a field. Better than the programs really.

    Trip down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, indeed. At the time we got ours no one was quite sure what to DO for programming, so they ran huge numbers of movies, from Ben Turpin silent movies to all the talkies up to the mid and late forties. I don't think I missed one.
      And every morning for at least two years there was a huge lull between the "Breakfast Hour" and "Ding Dong School" with Miss Frances, who talking in a syrupy girlish voice, (so as not to scare the kids) and they would run a kind of mixture of "Industry on Parade" (which I adored) and a half hour of still shots and sprightly music. Not sure why, but there it was.
      My all time favorite at that point was Rootie Kazootie, which I would watch, mesmerized. Found a clip of it not long ago on YouTube and it is so bad...

      Delete
  4. Bend and stretch
    reach for the sky
    stand on tippy-toes
    Oh, so high;

    Bend and stretch
    reach for the stars
    there goes Jupiter
    here comes Mars...


    Ah dem was the days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dem surely was.

      I never got to Romper Room, but Miss Frances was trauma enough for anyone. I couldn't abide the poor woman, lol.
      My forte was Beany and Cecil, and Kukla Fran and Ollie. I wanted magic, not platitudes. =)

      Delete