Thursday, March 9, 2017

Guess what! It's 1984 and 1952 all over again! Thursday 13



1.  I worry that we might all be monitored in some fashion, very soon

2.  I have found places on the net where any news commentary concerning the Donald that is in the least critical of his actions is represented by an opening statement that has turned into an unclickable link. "oops, we can't find that. error 401"  yep.

3. Anytime I see outrage or fear or anger expressed, concerning the new admin,  I wonder how long those kinds of expressions will be allowed to continue.

4.  There is such a thing as too much power and the wrong hands wielding it. In the wrong hands, obviously, any power is too much.

5. I've been seeing several blog entries sent to me that start out obviously not in favor of this or that, politically,  click on them, and the link is broken. "File not found."  and i wonder who pulled the plug. I know, I've done the same thing at times, but rarely.  This seems to be happening more and more.

6.  We are being catapulted back to the time before women's rights were an issue, before integration, before birth control, before health clinics for abused women, and the days of "don't ask, don't tell".

7. It has become the norm to automatically praise any newspaper who resists the Donald's dubious charm/policies.  I just wonder how long those papers will continue to exist.

8.  The smirk, the sneer, the hand gestures, the wall.

9.  That auto-blame that kicks in anytime something goes wrong. "it was X who did that."  The classic sign of a Narcissitic personality.  I know, my mother was one.  If I was in FRANCE and she broke a dish, it was my fault. Trust me, she'd find a way.

10. Blaming people who are in no position to refute the claims, in order to deflect unwelcome attention about  their own bad behavior.

11. People all too willing to believe that just because he's President he must be ready for sainthood and they behave/believe accordingly.

12. Years ago we impeached a President for sexual misconduct (and folks, that kind of  'misconduct' takes two) yet this time around we elected one who brags about it.  Times do change.

13. Sweeping and all-inclusive laws that affect our personal lives, our behavior, and those of our friends, with no regard for the grey areas and the people who will be irreversibly damaged.

Thursday 13

16 comments:

  1. People may be pulling their own posts because they were pounded by trolls or just got afraid. But I do share your fears. The longer this goes on, with such a willing bunch of co-conspirators,i.e., the police and covert ops by jerks, the harder it will get to stop.
    We will, for the most part, have to trust our Justice dept to defend we, the people, and so lately quashed by the Bush Administration, to rebound and protect us all from tyranny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im hoping you're right. I do know that sometimes I will post something and suddenly realize it wasn't exactly what I wanted to say, just then. anyone who clicks on their email will see a blank space. But people are, at this stage, a bit edgy.

      Baby Bush was an embarrassment, to be sure. He's the reason we have strip searches at the airports, among other fun events. I see that as a slide down the greased pole to what we have now, however. He opened the door to a much more controlling presidency, "because he could."

      Delete
  2. I'm afraid we're in for some very tough times. I look for the Union to actually break apart in the next 20 years or so. We'll see. Hopefully the Fourth Estate will find its footing and regain its reputation. My father is a narcissist and I recognize the signs, too. By the time this administration is over, we will have political PTSD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think the United States will survive intact either. That is if nothing changes, and I mean right now.

      Delete
    2. ya know, my first 'president", the one I actually remember as being one, was Eisenhower. And in all the kerfuffles that have gone on, and all the behind the scenes shenanigans (as well as the out in the open ones), I have never seen such an outpouring of anger, of fear, of distress. I try not to get too close to it. If the mister listens to the news on the Net, I put in ear plugs. I avoid what I can of negative stuff, and most of what is out there in any form.

      some time ago, long before this, I said to him, you know, it's been a long time since the 70s. We're about due for another upwelling (that one was over Vietnam), student unrest, all that. It's been 45 years, give or take a few.

      It well may be time. And this time, not the kids (at least not yet) but the old guys like me. The ones who remember Woodstock and Kent state and the riots.

      Looking at the recent protest march in Washington, those weren't college kids, those were grannies and mothers. (big grin)

      Delete
  3. I think we already do. A kind of anticipatory PTSD, the sort of thing you get as a kid when you have to go to the dentist...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think all your fears are right on the money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was afraid of that. =)

      Delete
    2. sounds like I'm gonna get the guillotine, Maybe I should stay off CNNs website. Truthfully, I don't fear that SOB.

      Delete
  5. I stay away from the news, the official websites, anything to do with any of it. Your heart, Harvey. Your heart. He's not worth getting upset about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I finally figured out that you aren't on WordPress and I was going to have to battle my way through Blogger. I have a site on Blogger, too, but it confuses me so much, I never USE it. time to branch out!! You're always such a great commenter on my site, I feel like I should be paying better attention. The problem is honestly that I spend SO much time putting together material for my own site, I have shockingly little time left to do anything (and I do mean ANYTHING) else. So much for retirement. I think I write more NOW than I did when someone was paying me. Hmmf. Thanks for being such a generous friend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a site on WordPress, but that's as far as I got with it. I look at the choices and think, noooo, maybe when I grow up...

      But how brave of you to do all that swimming against the current to get here, and ty for that. And yes, I do understand about the commenting. Im lucky these days to get out more than two or three posts in here a week--

      at least on sonmeone else's blog the subject is already open, Im just responding to the subject, not picking it. (Hadn't thought of that before, but that's it, after all. On your own blog you have to pick the subject and actually DO stuff with it...)

      Just glad you're here, and thank you for making the effort.

      Delete
  7. I just keep trying to find time. I spent all day writing one post and I'm totally beat. It was longer than usual and then, I had to find pictures. Sometimes, I just get too tired to care anymore. But I always enjoy your words, so i fought the battle and I arrived :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You done good, both the post and the visit. Proud of ya.
      And thank you, nice to see your icon up there.
      I never feel compelled to make posts, if I'm lit from within (sort of like a Hallowe'en pumpkin) or shoved from behind for some reason, then I put stuff out.

      But it is nice to know, isn't it, that something does get read and even, golly, enjoyed. Otherwise, there's not much point, is there.

      Delete
  8. Agree 100%. I'm slightly heartened to see that some of our checks and balances are working... let's hope it stays that way. xx - Nova

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too, Nova, but right now I just don't trust any of it. This is the sort of man who is used to getting his own way, regardless of the cost.

      I keep saying, "at least he dumped Sarah Palin..."

      Delete