Saturday, February 18, 2017

Even the smallest steps are appreciated (6WS)

Day before yesterday I was shoveling off the kitchen roof after the second semi-blizzard in three days (and of course it's a two-fer  because once you get that roof clean you take the roof rake and drag down as much snow as you can from the main roof on two sides, giving you usually three times as much snow as you just cleaned off) and in the midst of all this I heard ravens, looked up, and there were two of them, heading off for the woods. Cruk, cruk, cruk.

And deeper into the woods, careful, tentative, a pileated woodpecker drumming out his first love letter to a prospective Mrs. Woodpecker.

At the edge of the field which is bordered by woods, chickadees, shouting at each other, establishing their own early territories for the spring.

At some point the sun will come out and something will start to melt.

8 comments:

  1. Yeah, that's what My Beloved Sandra keeps telling me, but I ain't feelin it quite yet...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear that. We grasp at straws, at this point. Sun comes out, we do a HappyDance. A 40 lb icicle crashes to the ground, we rejoice.
    It'll happen, Mr. L. It always does, whether we believe it now or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have spring-like weather today and among all the mobs at the suey is a pair od Carolina wrens, one shouting a territory yell on my gatepost. So I'm hoping they nest on the patio again. They're wonderful neighbors, entertaining and they rout the squirrels. All good today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep, we got up to 40 deg, and the crashing and sliding of snow and icicles was wonderful.
      I don't feed the birds here, for various reasons (two of which meow), so I have to take my bird watching from a different perspective, sadly.

      Isn't it nice when the critters start stirring again. Including us. =)

      Delete
  4. It's a long slow business but you know Spring isn't so very far away :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. It's just such a sharp line of demarcation, isn't it. And we can still have snow all through March, even into April (trying not to say that too loudly)...
      I'd miss the sharp changes, I guess, but for a year it might be fun to glide gently from one season to the next, "oh, is it winter again? I never noticed..."

      Delete
  5. We are having an unusual warm spell and I am enjoying it. However, winter is not over and snow might come again, but right now the birds, the cats and all the wonderful wildlife in my yard are breathing in what we hope is an early spring. I hope what we are having will come to you also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do get one of these every month, after the week of the full moon. I'm rolling in this right now, the icicles are melting and now and then throwing themselves off the roof, the roof is visible (for awhile). We takes what we gets.

      And as people love to say about any good fortune that may occur, "Cahn't last. Don't get used to it."

      Delete