Saturday, April 2, 2016

Before dawn, this morning, a woodcock (6WS)

One of the uglier birds out there, but for me, always a sign that the seasons are progressing the way they should.  I went out to get kindling for the morning fire, and sure enough, I heard the whistle and that nasal "peent peent peent" overhead.
They have a tendency to sit smack in the road or field (if I close my eyes you cant seee me) and only when you approach too closely do they fling themselves upward and fly away.   Once your heart stops pounding and settles back in your chest you realize you have just terrified a Woodcock.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/American_Woodcock/id

8 comments:

  1. You'll have to fo see my 6 words. A turkey and I surprised each other!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is nothing quite as awe inspiring as seeing a 20 lb. turkey in flight. It's like watching the Hindenburg take off, lol.

      Delete
  2. I wouldn't know a woodcock if it got up and bit me, but I'm sorry you terrified it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they terrify easily, I think all game birds have that kind of flight response, and with good reason. it may also be a survival mechanism; any dog snuffling in the woods could suddenly find himself confronted with a very small whirry thing and by the time he recovered enough there'd be nothing to chase.

      When I hear them at dawn or after dark, I just sit and listen...

      Delete
  3. What a strange and wonderful world we live in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have two of the silly things that amble round our garden. No homes to go to, some people :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of this bird-but then we live in Upper Northern California...
    Interesting bird- thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of the homelier birds we have, but still interesting. The courting dance (which I have only ever heard but never seen) is apparently a heart-stopper for anyone watching. You have to wonder how birds develop some of the stranger behaviors like that...

    ReplyDelete