Thursday, January 7, 2016

Google strikes again...

I just found this announcement from the powers that be at Google and am so excited about it.  Not.   If you have readers who do not belong to Google,  they need to know about this too.  



"In 2011, we announced the retirement of Google Friend Connect for all non-Blogger sites. We made an exception for Blogger to give readers an easy way to follow blogs using a variety of accounts. Yet over time, we’ve seen that most people sign into Friend Connect with a Google Account. So, in an effort to streamline, in the next few weeks we’ll be making some changes that will eventually require readers to have a Google Account to sign into Friend Connect and follow blogs.


As part of this plan, starting the week of January 11, we’ll remove the ability for people with Twitter, Yahoo, Orkut or other OpenId providers to sign in to Google Friend Connect and follow blogs. At the same time, we’ll remove non-Google Account profiles so you may see a decrease in your blog follower count.


We encourage you to tell affected readers (perhaps via a blog post), that if they use a non-Google Account to follow your blog, they need to sign up for a Google Account, and re-follow your blog. With a Google Account, they’ll get blogs added to their Reading List, making it easier for them to see the latest posts and activity of the blogs they follow.

We know how important followers are to all bloggers, but we believe this change will improve the experience for both you and your readers.

Posted by Michael Goddard, Software Engineer"

16 comments:

  1. Last time this came up, I put a Bloglovin button on my blog so people had an alternative if this happened. Would you consider doing that, too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea. Let me see how much of my soul I have to part with to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. whew. thanks. Im always a bit shaky when it comes to adding stuff to this, it seems more often than not I've returned to find the colors changed, the blog inaccessible (who ARE you, it whispers), or just plain not there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I signed up to follow via Bloglovin should the worst happen....cue eerie music...

    ReplyDelete
  5. well I think the only people who will need it are the ones who have NO Google account, and if you have a blog here, Id guess you also have an account here...
    but I appreciate you hitting the follow button, volunteering, as it were, for the test.

    Has anyone noticed that we no longer seem to have icon pictures? Or is that just here?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What baffles me is that I use this blog all of them in fact via my yahoo signin. So I never know what might happen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That does not sound good, but most people seem to have a google acct. these days, so maybe it won't be so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. those images on the left of each of our posts--mine don't show, nor does anyone else's. Maybe it's my computer arguing with google, but Ive noticed lately the pictures are just not showing up anymore. Can you see them?

    ReplyDelete
  9. lol i have just about given up on Yahoo. This last incarnation of theirs at least did away with the lebenty skillion spam mail I was getting, but for a few days it refused to even show me MY mail. It's a strange world in here, sometimes...
    anytime a company says of the new changes, "oh we just KNOW you'll LOVE it!!" I realize we will all hate it, and by golly we do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have several people who --for various reasons--do not have a Google account, and it seems a bit pushy to force people without one to have to HAVE one just to post--or even read-- on a blog. Yes, yes, I know, facebook, twitter, etc etc. But thats also Social Media of a very different sort.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's why I have a mailing list! Dear people who shouldn't have to qualify to read me. So I bring to them and they love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. About the images: on my feed list yours is the only blog that shows only text, no pix, so maybe it's local to your computer?

    ReplyDelete
  13. ah. A month or so ago Google and Yahoo got into an argument over who was going to be my homepage: it was apparently some kind of a Yahoo wanna be, as near as I can tell, and I had to strip Google out, do come serious business in the registry, and start over.
    It happened twice, and now I can see the homepage but can only use it if I click on an icon.
    That may be the problem. I asked google and I got one of those "expert" answers which told me next to nothing but the designated expert kept coming back with more suggestions that had little to do with me or my home page. I finally learned to settle for what I have, and you're right, the icons have been disappearing since just about then.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is crap. It's hard enough for blogs to survive in this Facebook world. I only have a google account because I'm a blogger, which a lot of my readers are not.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I dont know if you recall the day Google changed the optional "preferences" on keystrokes to permanent, so that your typing resembled a schizoid keyboard on drugs, and then tried to explain that they thought "we'd just LOVE it"
    5000 comments later and no one had once said it's a wonderful tool. One woman said she was a touch typist and always watched the screen (as I do) when she typed, and it was numbing, to watch as those suggestions rattled on by...
    I stopped using Google for a long time for a homepage, and I guess a lotta people did.

    If you check out the forums now on this one you'll see a lot of people less than enthused by the switch. Someone suggested I add bloglovin to the list, so people could access this, but I'm not sure that will work.

    What they're trying to do is force more people to join Google, what's going to happen is they will be forcing people to leave.

    I know other blogsites like WordPress ask for registration, but that's been so from the beginning, so that's okay. It's slapping us with this in the middle that gets me...

    ReplyDelete