Thursday, October 22, 2015

Primes of my life (fudging the challenge just a tad)


3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29, 37, 41, 43, 47    are the first 13 primes

like Pi,  the list is endless and apparently random

only number strings that end in 1, 3, 7 and 9 are possibilities

unlike Pi, new primes are still being discovered but even with super computers it still takes years to churn through all the numbers in between

http://primes.utm.edu/  is a good source that won't make you cross your eyes to understand

inside the lists are endless patterns, but nothing that you can write a formula for to predict the next one



Thursday Thirteen






9 comments:

  1. I think my eyes just crossed. ,-)
    My T13

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, ive been playing with these numbers since I was in highschool, and they never cease to fascinate me. It's like solitaire for the brain. and, yeah, they can make your eyes cross now and then

    Just think of the mind of the man who discovered these, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huh. Numbers are interesting. Thanks for the post and the link.
    http://www.miaceleste.com/?p=588

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to be quite good at Algebra and Trig, but now I can't even figure percentages. Oh, the things the mind forgets! But I think maybe your point is more than math. Patterns, randomness, yet not, perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. CountryDew, that's it exactly. This has little to do with regular math in that regard, but its about the way numbers play off each other. Patterns. Rhythms.
    The Fibonacci series, Pi, stuff like that.

    My first geometry teacher showed me how to play with numbers for fun, if not for profit. =)




    ReplyDelete
  6. Fascinating concept; I love stuff like this.

    Endless churning through computers sounds like my inbox...

    ReplyDelete
  7. My old math teacher also introduced me to Tricks with Math, the only one I can still remember is, if you add up the digits in a long string of numbers so they come out as a multiple of 9, or of three, you will be able to divide 9 and/or 3 but not necessarily 6 into the long string. Really really needed to know that, didn't we.

    =)

    ReplyDelete