Thursday, September 10, 2015

The literary clue (most of them silly) Thursday 13

1.  The wife goes missing. The husband calls the police, and the first thing they do is ask what was she wearing.  Either he rattles off exactly what she wore ('grey slacks, wool, with a yellow silk blouse and grey wool sweater")   or they go upstairs where he flings open the fully loaded closet and says, "aha, her light green silk blouse is missing, and her dark brown cotton slacks.  I dont see her blue walking shoes anywhere, that's odd, she hated them, NEVER wore them..."

If the cops asked my husband what I was wearing I doubt if he could even remember I was clothed.  "I think she had bluejeans on, and one of those hooded thingies, maybe yellow, but it's warm, I really don't know"...

2.  The mysterious match book--definitely a clue.  The Blue Chicken Bar and Grill.

3.  A lipstick stain on a wine glass.  "That's odd, it's not her color at all. She must have had company".

4.  Advertising ashtray--track down the logo to the TaiWan Sushi Bar in Japan (never mind that the story takes place in Cleveland) and you have your killer

5.  Searching the house for clues.  (this one has me in stitches)  It assumes maids, spotless rooms, an attic so barren it only takes two hours to search, and checking every single damn book.  yep.

6. Dusting for fingerprints.  In a house that has seen innumerable parties,  sleep  over guests,  and endless visits by relatives bringing friends, and the detective will find the odd fingerprint among the welter of finger prints (assuming the maids didnt get there first and buff them away)

7.  Mysterious phone calls (in), strange unwarranted moods, behaviors, etc. well he's been terribly moody these past few weeks...

8.  The mystery pen with an advertising logo from, say, a chain of motels or an airline (but he HATED flying...)

9.  Red Herrings (1)--some writers will throw you a gentle curve, some will buffet you with red herring clues that veer off in all directions and after awhile you don't even try.

10. The hidden movie (dvd, , photographs, etc)

11.  The Mysterious Letter

12.  Unexplained jewelry in the jewelry box (hey, what's this?  I never saw this before...I wonder where she got this, it looks expensive

13.  The glance between two people that only the terribly astute and perceptive detective can interpret


Thursday Thirteen

17 comments:

  1. The glances are great! But as to clues and whether the missing person took anything, well I have friends whose houses always look as if they had a break-in! And some who dress from the laundry basket...this is why writers don't set their plots in ordinary houses, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny, and so right on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lord yes. My attic frightens even me, there are at least 150 years of stuff up there...im one of the laundry basket dressers, Im afraid, too, clean but a bit wrinkly most days...
    And the matchbook cover always amuses me--it never occurs to anyone that someone might have actually brought the matchbook and left it, having picked it up from the bar two months ago (probably from the Blue Chicken)--

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got this mental image of the expression on the policemen's faces as they step into my house to look for clues. No need to dust in search of finger prints. Too much dust there already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be mortified. I'd make them wait outside until I'd vacuumed, did the dishes, and dusted.

      Delete
  5. Haha. Yes to all of them. I'm with you on the wearing clothes one. I'd have no clue either. I also don't know what their wardrobe looks like.

    The ashtray and matchbook one made me giggle. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always thought those were such silly clues, like no one EVER leaves a matchbook behind. My mother had an ashtray given to her that said "this ashtray was stolen from the RitzCarlton". yep, okay, lady, you're in serious trouble now...

      Delete
  6. You just never know what is going to turn up in a mystery. (My husband would have no clue what I was wearing, either.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the oh-so-distinctive-and-unique tiny chunk of gravel stuck in the tire's tread...always leads directly to where the body's buried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yeah, thats a good one, since the gravel comes from one of those out of the way and exceedingly rare gravel places...Or my personal favorite, the tread. "Aha", the detective says, " I see there's a distinctive cross hatching on one of the tires. And it looks a lot like the kind of tire my wife has on her car, it only comes from the Bugatti dealerships..."

      good one, Mr. L, I missed that entirely

      Delete
  8. Hmmm. You have me thinking about what my husband would say. I really don't know. (Good post by the way.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mia, ask him. Seriously. I asked mine and he said, I wouldnt have a clue, which surprised neither of us. Not a noticer of small details ("was she clothed?" "um, probably")

      Delete
  9. There's usually a key to a hidden box or locker or a phone number of a scratch of paper. I notice anything out of place. Would make a good detective.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How about a key to a lock box or locker?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mysterious key to a missing chest/lockbox in the lawyer's office/or safety deposit box in an unknown bank. You would make a dandy detective. You'd catch me every time.

      Delete
  11. Hmm...well. I can tell you that none of these has come up in the mystery I am almost done reading. Not a one. My T13

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have a rare and wonderful book then, Heather. =) I love your photos, btw. very evocative.

    ReplyDelete