Monday, July 20, 2015

Dreaming the book

I've mentioned before that now and then I will have a dream that is solid reportage,  starting with me reading (in the dream state) a newspaper article, which then turns to hearing a narration and then to a careful segue into being the article itself.

Lately, coming down off of that game intensive year of no reading at all beyond cereal boxes and soup can labels,  I've been reading a stack of 600 page monster novels from people like Michael Crichton, Lee Child, John Grisham--one every other day, cover to cover.  and now I've found that when I dream I dream as a narrator/writer of very similar novels, long winded, plain speech, in that very similar voice...

I keep thinking, if it were only possible to  type and dream at the same time, by now Id have at least the better part of a lawyer driven-deep south-highly complicated novel of murder and mess, written out and ready to be proofed.  I wake up drenched in sweat, and exhausted.

Maybe it would work with poetry. Hrm..

2 comments:

  1. I love John Grisham. I couldn't imagine not reading for a year. I'd go insane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was that kind of computer game that demands constant attention. Unlike WoW which cheerfully wait forever for you, this one (RailNation) really insists on group play and a lot of it. So my reading was limited to very little, and falling asleep on the couch.
    I like John Grisham, he can be very funny. And right now I'm on a roll with those huge huge slightly gorey blockbuster ("7 weeks on the NYT Best seller list...") novels. But my yearly reread of Terry Pratchett approaches. I can feel it stirring on the bookshelf.

    As to insanity, yeah, it did feel a bit like that.

    ReplyDelete