Saturday, September 27, 2014
1. typewriters in all their clacky glory, including the futzing with the ribbon and Cleaning the Keys day, and using one my dad had (and I still own it), and teaching myself to type with the help of a touch type manual from the 40s...
2. the Social Security Death Index when it was out in public, and I used it to find family, friends, it was a valuable tool for everyone--until Ancestry.com put it behind a paywall and changed it around to point not at the info you wanted but the info they thought you wanted
3. old computer games that were ascii symbols like Hack and NetHack, and floppies with text games ('you are standing in front of a house. There is a mailbox there."), and box games for your old dos run computer...
4 Christmas cards that had sparkly snow and fuzzy touch-me santas or stand-up scenes-- and the week before Christmas when you got to Dress Up to go shopping in town.
5. The first day of school; a new grade, new shoes, new clothes. Getting used to the unfamiliar teacher and her funny voice, until you got used to it and then it was okay
6. my mother's barn with the 30 foot long rope swing
Posted by mittens at 7:08 AM