Saturday, September 6, 2014

open the door, close the door (6WS)

I think we all have events that happen to us over which we have little or no control:  the loss of a friend, or a loved one, a misunderstanding that escalates into something way out of proportion to the original intent--a life-changer, perhaps.  You can't seem to get your balance back, and even years later you find yourself reliving bits of this and bits of that, perhaps even inventing a different ending.  Or a different beginning.

And then we get all embarrassed and worried, because we are "obsessing" and we tamp it down even harder.

I'm trying something  a bit different.  Im writing it out, the way I wanted it to be.  You imagine, perhaps, that an old buddy or an old flame has suddenly come back into your life twenty, thirty years later. Write it down from where the possiblities kick in,  and then play it as you want it to go.  I tried this a few days ago, working my way through a possible  if imaginary reunion, and somewhere near the end, something magical happened. I wasn't writing it anymore, it was writing itself.

The reason Im doing this, is when ordinarily I write something as a prose piece, once it gets said, typed out, and corrected,  it goes into a drawer and I forget about it. Ive said what I needed to say,  and its over.  I thought, why not do this with reality?  Granted, its a reality that will never happen, for whatever reason. But its a stab at a reality that could have happened, given a few shakes of the snow globe.

And now I have no more desire to write it again, to play it out, to invent.  To obsess.

9 comments:

  1. This is brilliant, J! I absolutely have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Write your heart out, Mittens. Some of us will read what you write. I do that too also but most of my readers have gone to Facebook (we are still friends there), died, or just plain don't blog much anymore.

    I have a blog of which I am the only one permitted to read. Others could if I let them, but I wouldn't. You may be the only one who know I have it an like I said, I wouldn't let ...
    Then there are these other two where I stash things. My daughter is about the only one who reads one, the other no one reads. Only three are listed on my profile.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sure hear you on this post. Good luck with all. One day at a time, that's all we can do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this idea. I will have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great way to work things out and then let them rest. Excellent post! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant technique, JT.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you, Mr.Lavalette.

    It reminds me a great deal of what happens when the japanese celebrate their New Year by writing down the past year's fears and grudges and sadnesses, on slips of paper. And then they set them alight, and burn them to ashes, starting the new year with a clean slate, and without the baggage of the previous year's obsessions.

    And by working my way through the story, I found, truly, by the end of it, I was no longer writing it, I was reporting. the voices were real, and I could almost see it.
    The same thing happens when I encounter someone on line that Ive lost sight of for years; there is a brief exchange of 'how have you been' and a catching up on events, and then, filled with promises to not let this happen again, we let go. Forever.

    Kathe, thats it exactly. You get to say all the things you never could say, they get to do the same, and then its gone. funny, i do edit the hell out of it. Want to get it right. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The title indicated that you might be writing about cats, but it wasn't that way at all!

    My Six Words

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lol, you're right, i hadnt thought of it that way, but that's so much a cat event, isnt it. Always, always the cat is on the wrong side of the door. Or maybe its the door that is on the wrong side of the cat...

    ReplyDelete