Friday, June 13, 2014

Update

Windows7 works very well.  we just installed it about  a month ago (why rush into these things, right) and aside from a few unhappy moments it has been a  nearly intuitive process.

However.

There is always a however, isnt there.  In this particular OS,  Word has integrated itself with all text functions.  If I  misspell  a word in Outlook, Word underlines it in wobbly red.  If I forget the apostrophe, it adds it.  If I decide to type teh for the,  it gets corrected.  I have managed to turn of the wobbly red line,  but teh and apostrophe's still get corrected, as does waht, taht, etc. Lord help us all if I have occasion to email a Mr. Taht.  Who does exist, I just checked.

Last week something arrived in my Inbox and before I had a chance to open it the Officious Email Police informed me that this was a potentially dangerous website and could be sending me potentially dangerous email.  And promptly deleted the mail.

Now and then I do like to get out on that high wire with "Potential Virus" hanging over my head like a malevolent crow,  but Microsoft no longer allows me that thrill.

and if anyone has a clue as to how to delete that damn spell check from my email, you will be my bestest friend forever.

2 comments:

  1. enjoy 7 do not upgrade to 8 unless you want to stop using the computer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldnt agree more, Harvey. I've had people rip out 8 from a new machine and reinstall 7--and rarely do I hear anyone say how much they love Win8. Im sticking with 7 until they insist. Luckily it's good for several more years and probably by then I really won't much care.

    ReplyDelete