Monday, June 30, 2014

not for the faint of heart (2nd chorus)

i have been having problems with a new website,  and someone suggested installing Opera as a browser;  don't ever try this at home...


I got part way through the install process and in order to proceed it asked me if I wanted at least three tool bars, including an instaweather one, a music all the time one, and a calendar. I said no, not really.  further down the line it said you really need to install this WONDERFUL registry scan program, and proceeded to do so.  It told me I had over a 1,000 harmful errors in the registry (implying that if I didnt Do Something the entire western world would collapse into the ocean. No thank you, I  said.


Undaunted, they tried to give me the same registry scan and I stopped the install.  However I had to uninstall the basics from the Uninstall program (there were five) and then go into the registry and delete the bits they had oh so conveniently left behind. There were lots.  They even installed a shortcut button on my desktop, which I deleted.


Now, two days later, I find that like puppies around an empty food dish the Opera program is still sitting on my desktop with its tail wagging hopefully.  I clicked on the short cut button and it started barking and leaping and installing...so I dumped it. Again. 

And as a special added attraction, I find that this little number has been haunting me for a week;  even have begun  humming snatches of it (quelle horreur) when no one is looking. It needs a new home.  Im sure it will love it at yours.
Henery the Eighth

No comments:

Post a Comment