Monday, August 12, 2013

Thinking Out Loud

6 pm, the shadows are clear across the lawn, the sun just skims the tops of the trees on the west side of the house.  Feels like fall. Dry,  hot, but with a chill after dark that says, 'where's my sweater gotten to?".   We sit on the porch and listen to cicadas and watch the dragonflies feasting on the insects Ive stirred up with mowing.

There's a feel of an early fall about.  Like chipmunks and squirrels, we begin to move a bit faster;  tasks we 've put off all summer now become urgent.  Get the wood in the shed, a voice mutters.  and don't forget the damn chimneys.  CLEAN em.   It's a laundry list of Things We Must Do, and in all of that,  I wonder quietly just how long I can do this.

I've been thinking seriously about  hiring professional chimney cleaners.  Not  yet, but soon.  Maybe next year.   Im always one project behind and one ahead, one way or the other.  I guess that's good, you never run out of things to do.

Or to think about.


2 comments:

  1. I think you've earned the right to contract out your chimney cleaning, if nothing else! rather than waiting till it's something you can't do any more, it's nice to think of it as something you choose to delegate.

    I love dragnflies, and we've had a wonderful year for them. And toads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you make a good point--like choosing where to live rather than having it done by someone else. I'll have to think about that.
    for me its as much inanition as anything. The brushes, the sloshing up and down, the rain of soot, clean up, getting everything put back together...

    Once I got over being terrified by dragonflies I realized how beautiful they were. Sometimes we have a regular chatauqua some evenings, with hundreds of them zipping back and forth on the lawn...its quite stunning, once they get going.

    ReplyDelete