Saturday, March 23, 2013

It Hurts to Lose Old Friends (6WS)

Anywhere on the net we may encounter people we like, people we dislike, and sometimes those we grow to love.  For whatever reason,  and sometimes you never do find out why, some of them just disappear forever, overnight, without a trace or a word.  

It's a very fine thread that ties us to them;  no bigger than a strand of  spiderweb, in a way;  and once that strand is broken you finally have to accept that Gone is Gone, pack up the memories and move on.  Not that it works quite that easily, or gently.

Someone once said to me, "if something happened to you, how would I know?" 
He made a good point:  there are a lot of people out there that I know by only a first name, or a handle of some sort, and often not even what state they live in.  I guess the only way is to accept them as Five Minute Friends, always aware that the thread one day will break at one end or the other,  and go from there.

6 comments:

  1. Yes, it's surprising how easy it is to grow attached to someone you've never met, Judy. I've only experienced this once and it really isn't nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess it depends on the attachment that gets formed. Ive made (and met a few of them) some good friends online, and made (and been blindsided by) a few more. It happens, more easily and bloodlessly than in real life, but it does happen.
    On balance, it's worth taking a chance. It also teaches you to pay more attention the next time.


    Probably.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how this feels. I've lost two people I considered close friends, both died far too young. And two acquaintances I didn't know so well, but were still part of my virtual world.

    And others who have such hard rows to hoe, I do feel for them.

    I've met a number of people who started as online friends, and have been very happy with them. One or two simply weren't interesting or interested, just probably curious, so that was no loss, but was an experience anyway.

    Then there are people I love to read about and know they're out there somewhere, but with no urgent need to meet.

    Da internet tubes is good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are indeed, Boud. Sometimes you decide to take a chance on what appears to be a doubtful connection; it turns out to be, if not a life-changer, a new way of looking at things. That in itself is worth the effort.

    And when you lose one of them, no matter how physically distant they are, it stings just as much as if they were next door neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is hard. I understand. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow? great six words!

    and your thought resone with me.

    ReplyDelete