Sunday, July 8, 2012

What goes bump in the night

Two nights ago I went outside near midnight to retrieve Albert, my little white cat, who has taken to sleeping in the middle of the lawn. In the moonlight he glows like a lump of phosphorous.  As I walked out onto the lawn to get him, I heard a thump and then a very large doe snorted at me and thundered by, not five feet away.  Albert, being old and deaf and a bit senile at this point was utterly clueless as to what had happened. I think too he's losing his night vision.

This morning I heard a doe again, snorting and 'barking' the way they do,  and when I went out, there was Albert, again sitting on the driveway while four large does took off for the woods.  He has been a thorn in the side for generations of deer, for 16 years.  Why, I do not know.  And Im just concerned that they may mistake him, as a friend said when I told her, for a pile of marshmallows left on the ground.  Or for a little white monster who is about to attack them.  Or for the one obstacle between them and the new hydrangea bush I planted last summer.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like Albert is in about the same shape as me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, I am now picturing you curled up in the field in the moonlight while deer approach your infrared camera to have their picture taken with you...

    ReplyDelete