Monday, February 13, 2012

it's about this diet thing

The idea is to lose weight, not suffer in the process.  That means, you find foods that work, and stick with them, because you KNOW you're gonna be eating this way, ideally, for a very long time. 

To that end I've been using a lot of brown rice,  fruit, and veggies.  I needed something that would make brown rice palatable,  and I may just have hit on it. 
One cup of dry rice will cook up to two cups of cooked, and that means I only have to do this every third day. 
-----------------------------------------------
1 cup, brown or white rice, 1 cup of water with 2 chicken boullion cubes dissolved.
a pinch of white wine
While the rice is cooking, I cut up about a cup of cooked chicken thighs, and defrost a cup or more of veggies.  Throw all that in the rice when it's done .  When you serve it, add two or three slices of chopped apple (really) and two or three slices of chopped up cheese as a topping.  A little salt, a bit of pepper, and you're good to go.  And sometimes, if I'm feeling adventurous, I dump a Tablespoon of Sweet Baby Ray's Honey Barbecue Sauce on it.  Gooood stuff. 

Rice cooked and stored in the fridge starts to lose its interest after two days, so I don't like to cook more than I can consume in that period.

2 comments:

  1. You just described one of my go-to meals, mainly because I like it, rather than as a weight loss thing. A blurt of Worcestershire sauce is nice in the rice, too.

    I buy one package of chicken thighs, saute in olive oil and various spices, turmeric, garam masala, dark green veggies, garlic, etc., and that's a base for several meals, ending with bits of it in homemade soup.

    I buy the chicken and my jasmine brown rice at the Asian store, guaranteed good prices, and in the case of the rice, very rapid turnover so you get rice that cooks well, not having lingered in a warehouse for long.

    Good for you for simply eating good food, rather than making weird substitutions for favorite things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well i tried this the last time and it works so well i dont mind spending the time to cook it all up. When you diet, it has to be stuff you love, not stuff you have to eat. It also means I can eat a great deal of it, too. None of this rabbit food mentality, lol. I think the body appreciates that, and gets fooled into letting some of the weight go.

    ReplyDelete