Friday, September 9, 2011

Stoves

There are new stoves, and then there are old stoves in new places.  We decided last spring that the stove in the dining room  was getting to the 'must be watched carefully" stage, since the door latches had become worn over time and tended to glide open at odd moments, and the stove itself was just plain wearing out due to old age and steady use. 
Its well over a hundred years old, and has been used for all of that time.  But even the best stove ages.  We are replacing it with a stove we used to use upstairs, and the key in that sentence is "upstairs'...The hard part  was getting it down the stairs without making a sudden new door at the bottom.  The rest is all threshholds and placement.  So far no tempers have been lost, no fingers mashed, no cats terrorized.  A few more days and it should be set up and ready to go.  Hooray for us.

Today I clean the chimney and the stove we're moving out,  still not sure what to do with it.  I'd like to see it go to a good home, but it's been in the family for over a hundred years, and it may just have to become an end table.  *s*

I sincerely hope this is the last major stove move we have to make. We're not gettin any younger, here.

4 comments:

  1. I have an old memory of when I was a kid, The folks were going to clean the chimney, Dad took a log chain up on the roof,mom held a box under the lower hole in the flu where the stovepipe normally fits. The plan was to dangle the chain down the flu, shake it around a bit, and the stuff from the flu would gently fall in the box that Mom was holding. The chain slipped out of Dads hand, fell to the bottom of the flu, and black soot came shooting out of the lower hole like it had been shot from a cannon. The soot didn't even slow down as it passed over the box Mom was holding, but landed on her face instead. My four brother and I laughed so hard, and Mom screamed so loud. I wouldn't have give 5 cents for Dad,s life at that moment.
    Dad took plenty of time coming down off the house, and by the time he got down, thankfully she had cooled off a little. I will always remember the day I had a black Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh harvey, that's so funny.

    Lot of people do use the bricks-in-a-sack routine, but it's heavy, and takes two people. Rod no longer is comfortable climbing around on our roof, and I prefer the bristle brush method, going up instead of down. One person can do it, and I have a pretty good system by now. But we're getting of an age where it's not the entertainment it used to be. Soon enough, we'll be using chimney sweeps...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have an open fireplace, not a stove, and I get the chimney cleaners every year, and by the time they've finished checking the chimneys by climbing up and actually checking, and cleaned the flue and swept the hearth and given me updates and advice, I think they are so worth every penny I pay them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, Boud, and soon enough my independent stubborn streak will be flogged into submission. I guess it's a pride thing.
    Maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete