Friday, July 22, 2011

Its about the parts not the machine

Reading yesterday at another site, someone was saying how fragmented they felt with all the technology swirling around them.  I understand the feeling, big time.  Twitter and LinkedIn and Facebook, iphones and smart phones and tablets and a new social network every week, it seems, all staring at me across the breakfast table. 

It's a bit like keeping up with a very powerful, insistent, Jones family.

When I first came online in the mid 90s message boards were the big deal, and once I realized what 'interactive' really meant I was hooked.  At one point I was in a board fight at one, writing poetry in another and finding people with whom I am still friends, even now, and joining at least four other boards, all in the space of two years.  How I managed to do that on dial up and a shared machine amazes me. 

But, it was the words, the communication, the interchanges, that mattered.  The day I found the 'net, was the day I gave up television. 

And I realize now, looking back, that I only went where I wanted or needed to go, avoiding that ferocious paddling some people indulge in in order to keep up with the rest of the world.  Simplify, simplify.  I don't do peripherals, I don't do cellphones or smart phones or kindle or Nook or social networks.  Not bragging, here,  just sayin'.  The only way I can keep this entire mess from taking over my life and brain any more than it already does is to skim off the stuff I don't need, don't want, and don't care about. 

Take what you need, let the rest go.

And I do miss the old (good) Speakeasy.  It was an amazing place to be part of.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like we are at the same place on the internet. I had a facebook account just to please someone else. I soon cancelled my account after facebook sent me a zillion emails telling me that people I never heard of wanted to be added to my friends list. I tried to twitter but found it difficult to use and didnt care for it. I remember my parents not trying to learn how to program their VCR, I think I'm at that point, I think I can still master facebook and twitter, I just don't care enough to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, Harvey, that's it, isn't it. I dont care either and frankly Facebook appalls me. You spend so much time blocking all communication with everyone, and suddenly you get one 'X wants to friend you' and you think, who IS this? and it turns out to be a friend of a friend of a friend who thinks you're someone else. Nope, not going there.
    I like the idea of all this stuff being available, but also know that in a year or two or three it will all be something else.

    ReplyDelete