Wednesday, December 15, 2010

memories that never quiiiite fade

Everyone has from time to time been visited by the ghost of  a particular song, the kind of thing that drifts into your mind but seemingly never drifts away, just lingers behind a potted fern for the appropriate moment.  You are sorting socks and realize you're humming Yankee Doodle Dandy, and have been doing so since breakfast.  Yikes. Or riding to work, the strains of OOOOOKlahoma...suddenly careen around the corner of your mind,  and you know you'll be mentally singing "OOOOOklahoma where the winds blow heavy da da da" for the next eight hours.

It may be "London Bridge," or the Hallelujah Chorus, the entire "Memories", or "Old Man River" (even worse, Stan Freberg's version, "Elderly Man River") anything that plants itself squarely in your brain and sticks, wearing an ever deeper groove in the record up there. 

My own bete noir is  the Oscar Meyer Weiner song, with alternate endings, and on really bad days, Eddie Fisher singing "Oh My Papa".  Feel free to borrow either of these  if you feel the need for different material. 


Hope this  helps.

4 comments:

  1. I dont mind this as long as it's a song I like, but when it's not, I hate it. I think everyone does this. My grand daughter and I dislike the others music, when a rap or hip hop gets stuck in my mind...........ugh..... its not even music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yep yep but you know any song repeated endlessly is going to get very old very fast, especially when you can't turn it off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Under The Boardwalk

    Need I say more?

    ReplyDelete
  4. you just did. thank you for that.


    anything by alvin and the chipmunks. It doesnt even have to have a name.

    ReplyDelete