Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Now I know why my front lawn is so green

These 11 wild turkeys have been around all summer. They have been carefully tended by two females, and not one of the eleven was lost.  Baby turkeys are as near the bottom of the food chain as you can get, and its not unusual for a mother turkey to lose an entire clutch of 12-16 babies in a season.  I suspect the two hen turkeys were sisters from one of last year's broods, and I am strangely proud of them for protecting these guys all summer, from coyotes, foxes, fisher cats, and anything else that eats turkeylets. 

This seems to be their first day on their own, without the two mothers watching over them.   The fields were mowed yesterday, and they've been scouring it steadily ever since, gleaning, gleaning...

2 comments:

  1. I see a lot of turkeys here too, mostly toms and an occasional hen. When I blow this pic of your turkeys up it appears something orange in the timber behind the turkeys, could be you in your hunting gear. Wild turkeys are yummy, much better tasting than their domesticated cousins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i read that a lot of the turkeys you see with beards aren't toms at all, but females. Both females this summer, tending the brood between then, had beards. It does happen, and in a way its a kind of protective device, since the hens are more apt to get shot at than the toms.

    That orange thing, mr. smarty pants, is a rogue maple branch, changing color much too early. I don't hunt. I just sit back and admire whatever walks past.

    ReplyDelete