Saturday, May 1, 2010

Out to the shed and back

It's never a simple trip, there's usually something to carry out or carry back (or both), and even tonight when my only mission was to throw a plastic tub over the mower in case of rain, and pull the little shed doors shut, I had to stand on the porch steps first getting used to the early evening not-quite-dark, admiring the peepers and little frogs singing joyously (well I have to assume so, it is May, after all) in the run at the bottom of the field.

And the the appreciation of stepping out onto the lawn in bare feet and no jacket, after a winter of traveling outside swathed in the coat, the hat, the gloves, the boots, only to roll up a car window. But now the winter coats are inside, and I am not. I feel twelve years old again, marching bravely and barefooted across the night lawn with the cat padding loudly beside me.

on the way back I heard a barky noise, one Ive heard before this year, sort of a sneezy single bark but apparently high off the ground. Finally looked it up on google and by a process of elimination and incredible intuitive leaping, realized I was hearing a grey fox. They do climb trees, and if startled, the site said, will warn you with a hoarse bark that sounds like a cough.

Good for him, good for me. Happy May 1st.

7 comments:

  1. Happy May 1st to you, Mitts. Nice post. I know what you mean about bare-footed coat-free excursions in the spring. And you have me wondering if I've ever heard a fox and not known that's what it was. I've certainly seen a few.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea why my ID showed up that way. Sorry 'bout that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There was a fox that used to munch out on my folk's trash. If anyone came outside he would bark, wanting us to go back in so he could pig out. When we still lived on the farm we drove by this little cliff, a mother fox and her babies were laying out sunning. One of the kits jumped up and barked at us in his little puppy like voice. I think he was saying we were invading his privacy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathryn, im glad it did, I LOVE those patterns, and im a sucker for kaleidoscope stuff...

    Red foxes have totally different sounds, the male sounds like a small barky dog, and the female makes this sneezy whrowr whrowr noise, high pitched, sounds nothing like what you would think a fox should.

    And I didnt know about the grey and that funny hoarse bark, until I finally thought about the parts I did know, which is they are the only canine that climbs trees. Oh, she said, you don't suppose....

    Sometimes you hear stuff and think, oh damn, thats a funny noise, must be a new dog around, and forget about it. Out here, we dont have a lot in the way of dogs trotting through the yard, so if I hear a dognoise, I wanna know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fox almost killed me once. Now, when I see one, I have to tell myself, "Keep your eyes on the road. Keep your eyes..."

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh yeah, Ive done that swervy thing too, one reason the Mister prefers to drive when we're going somewhere together. For some reason it upsets him. I told him once, well I just wanted to get a better LOOK...sheesh...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh what a wonderful description of a May night!

    ReplyDelete