Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Reading Room October

Finished off two Anne Tyler books this past week, The Clock Winder (which was strange in that way so many books about southern families are), and Saint Maybe, better than I thought it would be at the beginning. I"ve been ducking Anne Tyler books for years, I have no idea why; she writes well, everything fits together, but I just could not take down one of her books and read it. Maybe I had to grow up to them.

Started Gabriel Garcia Marquez' Love in the Time of Cholera, but it seems (or I do, at any rate) to be descending into a place where I have difficulty following, or comprehending. I understand the mindset of the South American culture is very different from ours, and that may be part of the problem. I'll soldier on a bit longer, this may just be a slow place in a good book.

Not all books are good, not all good books are good for the same reasons, or for the same people, and what one person raves about, someone else will hurl across the room, half finished.

One reason I hesitate to loan books or recommend them if somebody else has to spend money on an unknown quantity.

And a nice day, the ash trees are turning that bronze/purple color, and the rock maples in the front yard have started their color shift from top to bottom. Tis time, I believe.

5 comments:

  1. I don't do a lot of reading anymore. What books I do read these days are information books. I read a book recently about near death experiences, I read a novel last year that came in three books. I used to read western novels, but it had to catch my interest right off, or it got discarded. Even when I was in high school I couldn't read something I didn't care for. I made 3 attempts to read Ivanhoe, I would read a page or so and my mind would start wandering. Never got it read and made a big fat F on the test.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Cholera" is worth the efforts, mittens. It just takes some time to get into the rhythm

    ReplyDelete
  3. harvey, I had trouble with Ivanhoe, too. I enjoyed it once I got into the story, but it was still slow going. And of course in those days things like Ivanhoe and House of the Seven Gables were What You Read in school, like it or not. and yeah, when I hit one of those my mind wanders too. One nice thing about growing up is realizing that no one says 'you hafta finish that book' except you. and you get to pick what you want to read.

    Jak, I understand what you're saying, and am working my way through it slowly. The hardest part is understanding the Spanish writer's POV.
    I realize this will never be on my favorite books shelf, but at least I can say I've read it, by gum.

    And it's nice to see you here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to have found your comfortable little spot. Also glad to find another Mapp & Lucia fan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you for that. One nice thing about a blog is that you can shape it just the way you want, and everyone's is so different it's stunning. When I started i wasnt really sure what to do with it, so I just let it grow. Topsy woulda been proud.

    and yes, I found Mapp and Lucia maybe 30 years ago, and they have never let me down. In fact, Im glad you mentioned it; as a reward for finishing (half way there, now) Cholera, I shall gift myself with the Lucia series. Makes a nice contrast, I think.

    ReplyDelete