Sunday, October 11, 2009

Love in the Time of Cholera

well, I got through that one. Im not sure that I liked it all that much, but it was readable, had some lovely passages about love and aging and sex; the difficulty for me is dealing with the Latino/South American sensibility, which is very different from mine. I finally realized that the only way to do this is to just let go of comparing apples and mangoes, and concentrate on the mangoes.

I'm pleased that I read it, but I will probably not be digging into it again any time soon. Some books are like that.

Time to strap on the camera and heavy jacket and go for a walk in what's left of the good weather.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on getting through "Cholera" at least!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, there is that, Jak, and thank you. One nice thing about reading something like that is that sense of accomplishment, of being able to know what someone is referring to when they mention the book--you suddenly get it, to a certain degree. So now I am indulging myself in the Lucia books, from first to last. and thank you for reminding me of her.

    ReplyDelete