Thursday, October 8, 2009

Games come and go

I am a closet online games addict. There has always been a game of some sort running on the computer, from the early days of Rogue and Hack, and a friend's excellent text games of Uunkulia, on through the classics like Eye of the Beholder and Lands of Lore. Now there are these wonderful online downloadables, with graphics ranging from topdown stick figures with bad scenery to the amazing graphics of Worlds of Warcraft. I've been playing this one for over a year, daily. What I like about it is that it never builds false fronts on its characters or its buildings. You can travel, literally, to the edge of whatever world you're on, and over, and yes you can die.

This last month I gave up my place in the game, having realized that for me, for now, it's just not what I want to do. Maybe a few months into winter, or next spring, it will seem new again, but just now I wanted to try something else.

and true to their policies, the Blizzard people let you step out of the contract but not out of the game. They keep your characters and levels intact, and if you want to come back later, well, they will be delighted to see you.

They play fair with their customers, on screen and off, and it shows.

It's been a part of my online life for a very long time, as these things go, and I miss it.

2 comments:

  1. I would probably classify myself as a gaming/computers/internet addict. So I understand the lure they hold for you. I am sort of in a similar place in terms of growing tired of them, but I can't break out of the mould of comfort I've created for myself in playing new computer games. The one thing I've noticed, and probably the worst aspect of this, is that my friendships have withered and chances to make ammends may be scarce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my apologies, I missed this somehow.

    The trouble is, friends you make inside a game, if any, rarely 'follow' you if and when you leave it. The game you're in together is the only glue. Understanding that helps greatly.

    the other problem is, you simply cannot discuss what you're playing with people who have never played, as Im sure you found out. They look at you strangely if you try, and you realize that saying 'hey, I just leveled up" has people backing away as if you just grew an extra face.

    so yeah, it's a separate life, isnt it. You really have to make an effort to separate the two, and KNOW realtime people matter more than a game, no matter how good.

    and I do still miss WoW. *s*

    ReplyDelete