Monday, July 13, 2009

Cog Railway--there and back again

We reached an agreement, finally. The Mister has always wanted to ride on the Cog Railway, a slow train that travels up and I do mean up the side of Mt.Washington by means of a special kind of wheel that doesnt ride on the track but is more of a toothed gear. Most of the trains at this time are coal/steam engines, with one diesel. I so did NOT want to go, but I felt bad about him making that two hour drive alone. So we compromised. I went with him, but he took the train and I had three hours to go elsewhere. it worked out very well...
This is how the train looks. Going up the mountain, the engine pushes. Its tilted to accomodate the steepness of the climb.























this is the path that goes over that far ridge and on up to the summit.




















Almost back to the bottom again.

On the other hand, I got to see this (mystery) hawk...so I'd say we both enjoyed ourselves, and had stories to tell one another later. All in all, a pretty good trip.

5 comments:

  1. Looks like a coopers hawk...... We used to call em chicken hawks. I think I would have rather went with him, I can see hawks anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont usually see hawks close enough around here to take photos of them, so this is a treat. I looked in the book, and it could be the female or juvenile of a LOT of mid sized hawks around here, so I just call it Hawk and let it go. Neat bird, though. It sat and watched me while I took a bunch of photos almost directly under its perch, and then it got bored and took off.
    I seem to have developed Senior ADD--sitting for three hours at a stretch is bad enough, but when you can almost outwalk the vehicle you're sitting in, it becomes numbing. Im afraid the novelty of mt. washington wore off for me about 25 years ago. *s*

    Next time you go. I'll let you know the day ahead but you have to be here by 6 AM...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The mountains seem pretty, uh, white, what with all that rock and all; could be greener. That would make them perfect. Sorry you have to settle for 2nd best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know. I know. Then again, you have a state fulla cows. We got granite, you got methane.

    ReplyDelete
  5. See if you can fire them rocks up to keep you warm this winter. Go ahead. I dare ya.

    ReplyDelete