Saturday, May 2, 2009

Where I live

We've lived here for 37 years. The first time I saw this house, sitting like a dusty shabby jewel in the middle of a field in the middle of the woods, I knew, even at 19, this was where I wanted to live.

As hard as the first 10 years (or thereabouts) were, physically, not once did either of us ever say, maybe we could spend the winter with my folks--or your folks--or some place in town...it simply never occurred to us to move out, even temporarily.

My husband was a little boy here, he learned to run his dad's tractor when he was maybe 11 or twelve--rite of passage, apparently, for farm boys; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjVPD48Lcos

And as hard as it can still be, 37 years later, I can't imagine living anywhere else.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I'm sure it's kinda lovely. Too bad, though, it's on the wrongs side of the mountains. That's probably why the cats like it so much, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. you know, I've always said, if Vermont had a coastline with a real ocean, I'd be there...it's sorta the way I think NH should be and once was, but the efforts to hot top most of it are succeeding, sadly.

    Cats are very intelligent creatures. They Know Stuff, which is, probably, why they come here...

    ReplyDelete