Friday, May 8, 2009

How to Find a Human...

in the world of automated companies.

Several years ago I needed to contact my insurance company by phone. Up until then there had always been a person on the other end of the line and we did just fine together. Suddenly I am confronted with a "menu'. A very long menu. Press one for English, press 2 for Spanish. Press one for account information, press 2 for billing, press 3 for policy information, on and on into the depths of the system.

After the third try (most of these responses are actually bots telling YOU what you already know about your policy, your account, etc) I started over and hit 2 for billing. Immediately there was a woman at the other end. Oh my. I said, "Im sorry, I must have hit the wrong button, Im looking for someone in Accounts." She laughed and said, "let me transfer you." It was that easy.

Next time I needed to talk to a Big Company about Important Stuff I tried the same thing, figuring that any company needs a human in billing to explain that yes you did pay that bill twice...It worked again.

Last week a friend was having trouble connecting to anyone in her own insurance company, so I told her to wait for the "Press X for Billing" and see if it works. The next day she called me and said, "it worked like a charm, I got right in."

No comments:

Post a Comment