Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Weather or not, it's what we got

and now we're at the other end of the cycle, having rounded the corner into February, moving slowly and steadily toward March. My dad always said, once the end of February came, he could handle anything, weather-wise. I sorta feel the same way. March is just the last gasp.

I was thinking the other day, how much our point of view has changed over the last 25 years or so, as to Need vs. Want. We are now almost a cashless society

We are also turning into a culture of instant everything, from coffee to credit to food. In some regards it's an improvement, since microwaves cook food faster for far less energy, and you dont pour the vitamins down the sink when you cook carrots *g*.

But in some ways we seem to have lost the willingness to wait for the next paycheck, or to save toward what we want. When my mother's old fridge died, when I was a kid, she had been saving for over two years, a dollar here, a dollar there, toward a new one. She had it all picked out, and was just waiting for the old fridge to die.

That new one lasted her fifty years, and i bought the last one for her.

My first 'new' refrigerator died four years ago, after a long and glorious career, and like my mother I had a new one picked out, long before it sighed its last. it was just a matter of time, and I was willing to wait.

I play an online game, and in it what you buy to progress costs silver or gold. Often you will see kids coming into the chat room yelling about how they "NEED" 10 gold, or 100 gold, they NEED a horse, or armor, or something. Mostly what they get is advice on how to earn it themselves, instead of panhandling, but I see so many of them doing this, you have to wonder at the reality of the ethic behind it. Most of these kids are under 15 or 14, and have no concept of waiting for what they want, or working for it in some way. Gimme gimme. And it's not their fault, it's what they've learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment