Saturday, August 9, 2008

Labor saving my aunt fanny

Last fall a neighbor gave me her old self propelled John Deere mower. Bagger and all. Said it was not worth their fixing it up to keep, maybe I could do something with it. My husband tinkered with it, replaced a bit here and a bit there, and now I have a self-propelled mower that makes me feel like a very small woman walking a very large dog--but boy does it chew through the grass.

This past week I wearied of using Other People's cast off vacuums, and finally settled on my first new vacuum, a Panasonic, one of those that has the extra motor and the beater bar and a headlight...and it occurs to me, not for the first time, that labor saving devices only mean you can save all that work and use your energy for other things instead. At least, that's the idea. What really happens is, your standard of clean or mowed or whatever has just been raised, because you no longer have an excuse to not do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment