Thursday, April 24, 2008

Cats

Two days ago I got a cat from a friend. Cuffy was a stray, and the man who gifted me with him
has no clue as to cats or their problems. The cat apparently has no idea what a litter box is for, (oh treats), and since I am not letting him out for a week or so, this becomes a problem. We will be trying sand-in-a-box, to see if that will be acceptable.

Took him to the vet's today to be neutered and checked over for whatever else he might need doing; just awhile ago the vet called, to say that Cuffy has feline aids. I have three other cats, here. One nearly 17, one 12, and one close to 9. There is, apparently, no way to immunize against this, and cats that live in the same house are very prone to get it.

I took a deep breath and said, let's keep him. He deserves something out of his life, let it be this. He apparently was (at least as of last winter) an outdoor stray; the vet said his ears were frostbitten, and he had two bad teeth. I realize Im taking a chance with my own cats, and maybe that isnt fair to them, but is it any fairer to have Cuffy put down 'just because'?

I told my husband, and we talked about it, and both of us agreed that neither of us has the heart to put down what looks to be a perfectly good cat with some problems. They become our problems, and we deal with it.

I don't know. I just don't know. Sometimes there is no right choice, is there.

No comments:

Post a Comment